Friday, April 2, 2010

Total Bathroom Reno

First off, I would like to say, if you are planning to or are in the process of buying a home GET A PIPE INSPECTION. It is totally worth every cent you will spend for some guy to come to your house and shove an extremely long and dirty cable down your clogged pipes to take a look around. I realize how nasty that sounds but there is no other way to explain it. Mitch and I bought our house in July of 2008. This is what the hall bath looked like when we moved in ...hold your breath...




Those were the pictures on the MLS posting. Can't you smell the black mold? I can. The smell sent me right back to November of 2005 when I went back to New Orleans for the first time after Katrina hit. The whole city smelled like that.

Besides all the black mold, the bathroom was hideously ugly too boot. Beige and brown linoleum peel-n-stick floors, peach, mint AND pink tiles all over the walls and shower surround, a wooden toilet seat (I don't even wanna think of all the butt critters that were living in the cracks of the wood) and a yellowish faux marble sink that had greenish-gold glitter flecks smeared throughout for that klassy marbleized effect. Thank the Lord we had a functioning (and not nearly as gross) master bath. We only used the hall bath for "emergencies" and to wash our dog, Gus, in the tub. Other than that, I didn't use the bathroom for over a year.

That following summer the day finally came for a mini makeover. We were planning on having some house guests stay for a week and I began thinking of painting the tiles. I know that sounds ridiculous but I've seen it done and Home Depot actually sells bathroom tile spray paint. Mitch heard my idea but decided it would be best to leave that to the pros so he had a friend of his come over to give us an estimate. Well, lets just say, it wasn't gonna happen. Turns out there were a few loose tiles that would have to be replaced and the cost would just be too high.

We took it upon ourselves to try and repair the loose tiles. Ha! good idea? NO!!! ALL HOLY HELL BROKE LOOSE. It was the Pandora's Box of bathrooms. A few tiles turned into just the shower surround which turned into a rusty pipe which then became a total bathroom reno. This is what we found...



I don't have the foggiest idea as to how water was moving through those pipes. We ended up having to gut the entire bathroom and then bust out the jack hammers.


(mmm black mold... yummy)


(where the sink & toilet were)

(where the tub used to be)

Oh. My. Lord. It was a nightmare. I think I still have scars on my knuckles smashing them into jagged concrete as I was scooping dirt out of the holes in the ground.



(That lovely sink I mentioned)

We soon realized that this plumbing problem would go throughout the entire house. Starting in the garage it went through to the kitchen, over to the hall bath, outside to the back yard and over to the master bath, under the floor in the master bedroom and finally out to the sewer near sidewalk. Along with a hired friend of a friend we dug this...






A 4 foot deep trench that went from the back yard, around the house and turned to come out from underneath our master bedroom window and out to the street. I though it would've been cute if we had put alligators in it for more of a hometown feel for me but, no one else was on board with that idea. Oh well. I digress... back to the bathroom.

After Mitch ran all new plumbing and filled in the holes with concrete it was time to start putting our bathroom back together. A friend of Mitch's, who owns a tile and flooring company, came over to help us. He gave us an AWESOME deal on some extra crema marfil marble tiles that he had left over from some fancy schmancy job he had done over in the rich part of town.

Here are a few pics of the "during" stage.





And here's a picture from the night we installed the new low flow potty! Almost there...



The next picture shows it pretty much as it is today (minus a few decorations)



Our lovely Home Depot vanity and IKEA bamboo plant that Mitch and I got when I first moved into the house he rented (He didn't let our "love fern" die! Name that movie!!)...



A mirror shot of the shower.




That's all folks! Thanks for lookin'. And if you're lurkin', that's fine too!

14 comments:

One Pork Chop said...

Wow, that make over is truly amazing! The end result looks like a spa bathroom - wowza! Love, love, love!

nottooshabbychic said...

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days! Love your blog!

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

unbelievable!! I remember one reno something like this, but this certainly tops everything I've seen. Great job, you certainly deserved a great outcome after all that work! Janell

Amanda@The Hand Me Down House said...

Liz, this looks fantastic! SO much better than the pink and green -- lol! Seriously -- such a great makeover!!

Rachelle @ Adventures in Creating said...

Wow! I just saw this. You guys are awesome. I know what you mean about getting a pipe inspection- we learned the hard way as well with our house (we had roots growing in them pipes!)You give me hope for our bathroom though! I haven't worked up the courage to show it online yet, people will wonder why we even bought a house with a bathroom like that. I hope that whenever we get around to redoing ours it turns out as good as yours did!

ButterYum said...

Wow - what a nightmare!!!!!! But Wow again - what an amazing transformation!!!!!! You must be so happy with the way it turned out.

:)
ButterYum

ASH said...

How to Lose a Guy!!! LOVE your blog, just happened upon it thru a linky party! Beautiful transformation. Thanks for sharing!

Jackie said...

I can't believe what you had to go through, but your bathroom looks beautiful now!!

Deborah said...

Beautiful how you've transformed your bathroom.
We desperately need a re-do too ..

Deborah xo

Jamie said...

Vouloir c'est pouvoir!!! I used to live in the Lafayette area. I know that smell.



(That means "where there's a will there's a way.)

Rachel said...

Unbelievable! I love transformations like that! You've done an awesome job! ~Rachel @ The Olde Farmhouse on Windmill Hill

A Sense of Design said...

OK...you win I thought my bathroom was bad but yours beats it outright!!! Lucky you but after the nightmare of all that hardwork, it looks great. Unfortunately my bathroom only got a makeover until I can afford to do the whole thing and I work for a bathroom reno company!!! Came here from Brooklyn Limestone. Gina

Kristen @ Popcorn on the Stove said...

This turned out amazing - I almost think it was worth the trouble!! Funny enough, Joe and I keep our IKEA bamboo in our bathroom, too!

Michelle @ Ten June said...

Holy cow this looks amazing! I cannot BELIEVE that nightmarish reno! And I thought ours was bad... you poor thing! We really need to replace the pipes from the street to the house (they're galvanized and we want PVC for better flow). Lord hopes they don't look like your old pipes, my goodness! Well that just makes your "after" even more sweet- it's just beautiful! CONGRATS!!! : )