Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Lamp Revamp: How to Handpaint a Zebra Lampshade



I bought this lovely gourd lamp and shade for $29 at Marshalls. I like the shape and size of it. But the color... not so much. Inspired by Janell's lamp makeover, I bought it (despite it's 'perfect for a teen girl's room' color) and went to town with some craft and spray paint.



I was too afraid to attempt to cover the shade with fabric so I went searching for a pattern that I could stencil on. All I could find was the same ol' same ol' and some really pretty, but intricate (aka too difficult) patterns like this and this.
A few days passed by when I found myself on YHL's blog where I noticed an ad for one of the sponsors, Shades of Light.
I searched high and low on their site and finally found it.

Love, love, love love love.... not just because it's zebra print but because it also kinda looks like a messy chevron print.
Just one problem... theirs retails for $69 (plus tax & shipping). I don't have $69 to spend on a lampshade. And, even if I did, I don't think I would buy it anyway. It was way to easy to recreate.

Here's how I did it....

Step 1. Print pictures of the lampshades from the website. I printed all three sample pictures because each one showed a slightly different pattern.



There wasn't much contrast between the stripes and background color, so I traced over each line with a Sharpie marker.


Then I enlarged the image to 150% on a copier so that the image would be proportionate to the size of my shade.

Step 2. Tape your pattern to the inside of the lampshade.


Would you look at that!? You just made your own 'light box'.
Give yourself a pat on the back for being so creative!

Step 3. Use a pencil to trace over the stripes.
It might be a little difficult to see what you've already traced over.
Turning the light off and on as your trace will allow you to see the lines that have already been drawn.


 My pattern didn't reach the top of the shade,
so I just continued each line to the edge.


Then I lightly colored in the stripes that would be painted with a pencil.
This will help you keep track of where the paint should go.

 Step 4. Choose your paint colors.
I used a mix of 'expresso' and 'light ivory' acrylic paints by Delta.
My paint looked like a light chocolate milk color when I mix it.
Remember, it will be a shade or two darker when it dries.


Step 5. Just slap that paint on!
Ok, don't 'just slap' it on. That would make a big mess.
Gingerly slap the paint on over your marked areas.


painting


painting


just keep painting...

(Sorry, for the poor picture quality! I was working reeeaaally late at night.)

Now that the shade is painted, let it dry and get to work on the lamp base.


Step 6. Tape off the metal base, bulb receptacle and light switch.
 Then wipe down the surface of your lamp base with a degreaser. You want to clean off as much oil and dirt as possible before you spray your paint. 


Step 7: If the lamp base is a smooth texture, you'll want to spray it with an etching primer first. This will allow your top coat to stick really well.


Step 8: Once the primer has dried, choose your top coat color.
I used Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch in gloss white. 
Give the whole lamp base one or two coats (depending on how well the paint covers) and let it dry completely.


Step 9. Remove the tape and attach lampshade to base.

Step 10. Oooo and Ahhh over your amazing creation!


 like the one in the background of these pictures)


Here it is with the light on:


  And here's that before and after again... 

Cheap, easy, and it looks like a million bucks!
Ok, maybe it looks more like $69, but that fine with me!

I moved my jewelry off the dresser and onto the monogram plate that I made a few weeks ago.


And added in this framed Marilyn Monroe stamp that my momma got for me a while back.

Yes, Ma.... I still got it.

That's all folks!
Have you ever revamped a lamp?

Linking this post to:

Nicolette's Thirsty Thursday's: momnivores-dilemma.com
Cassity's Remodelaholic's Anonymous: remodelaholic.com
Donna's Saturday Night Special: funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com
Courtney's Fethered Next Fridays at French Country Cottage
Carrie's Amaze me Mondays at  Dittle Dattle
Layla & Kevin's How To's Day at  The Lettered Cottage
Michelle's Watever Goes Wednesday at Someday Crafts
Kate's Flaut it Friday at Chic on a Shoestring
Ashley's beautiful blog  Eisy Morgan
Roeshel's DIY Showoff: thediyshowoff.blogspot.com

69 comments:

Kelly said...

Crafty! I can't believe you made that shade.

Kelly

Janell @ Isabella and Max said...

wow, that shade is amazing!! I'm going to remember this, how resourceful with a great result. Glad my lamp makeover inspired you!! That is the best compliment. Janell

emily @ the happy home said...

seriously, you are awesome. your creativity astounds me every time you post.

momnivore said...

liz-

love it! looks great! i'd love to see you scour the clearance racks for ideas...

man.

fyi: you may want to mix a fabric medium with your acrylic next time...(sorry, the art teacher in me rears her head from time to time...)

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Ok, I'm an idiot...what's a fabric medium? Is that a dumb question? There are no dumb questions right Teach? ; )

And to allk you girl, those might be the nicest compliments I've ever heard!! Y'all made my day!
: D

Scarlet Letterer said...

Can't say I'm into zebra-fication, but this came out great! And you still have ol' Marilyn - always good to keep a stamp on hand, even in this digital age. (Just kidding!)
Another little trick for tracing flat stuff: tape it up on a window for a po' man's light box. (of course if you're working late at night, it's you and the mosquitoes, outside.)

I never cease to be amazed at that self-etching primer. Where has that stuff BEEN all my life?? Can't wait til this semester is over and I actually work on some projects. Stained glass, painting that chair I rescued after Katrina, picture-framing, the dollhouse, achieving world peace, starting my blog...
Sigh. I'll be busy!

Lindsay said...

I am obsessed with that lamp! Awesome job. I wonder if I could paint a natural colored shade w/ white acrylic paint (w/ fabric medium mixed in) to achieve a similar effect....hmmm

Rachel Cannon Humiston said...

I typically like to DIY my food only, but have been trying to get more into DIY'ing home things and all I want to do now is paint! This has inspired me! Love it!

Rachel Cannon Humiston said...

I typically only DIY my food but have been trying to get into home DIY (and actually doing it, not just reading and salivating over it!). This has inspired me and all I want to do now is paint! Love it!

pieway said...

I really like this -- the end result looks so polished and unique, and it struck me as clever and resourceful how you made it. Nicely done.

Michelle@Somedaycrafts said...

When I saw the title of your blog, I had a feeling you were from Louisiana/New Orleans. I love the beignets downtown. I get some every time we visit my husband's family! I LOVE your lamp and especially the shade. I seriously can't believe that you painted that. I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. Grab my "featured' button.

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Thanks Michelle!! That's awesome
: D

Michelle @ Sweet Something said...

That looks fantastic! Great job!

Centsational Girl said...

Gorgeous ! Love your style so much, especially the fresh white and the zebra print. Brilliant!

Kate

Moe said...

I love your lamp redo! I've mentioned it on my blog here: http://fivesixteenthsblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/make-it-mondays-lamp-redo.html

hope you'll pop by :)

Gina said...

LOOOOVE THIS! Esp the shade. So wonderful! Now, why did you use etching primer? To cut the gloss from the original paint?

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Hey Gina, good question. I used the etching primer because sometimes when you spray gloss paint on a very smooth surface you risk the paint peeling if the surface is scratched. The etching primer gives the paint something to cling to. If you were spraying something that you knew wouldn't really be touched much, then you could probably skip the etching primer. Something like a picture frame or knick knack that wouldn't be handled/touched often would be fine with just a few coats of gloss paint.
Hope this helps!

Karen@StrictlySimpleStyle said...

Brilliant!

the cape on the corner said...

looks fantastic! can't believe that's painted on (not fabric). amazing!

Lucy Designs said...

wow! this is just beautiful!

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Thanks everyone!! : D

vintage vine said...

Great Job!! It look so different, good choice on colors and I love the shade!!! Visting from Dittle Dattle, love your blog!

Sherryd said...

I love your lamp revamp! Well done!

Christine said...

Love it, great job! I spray-painted a similar base green a while ago, but really like how that bubble style looks mod in white.
Christine
greatoakcircle.com

Amanda @ Frills and Frolic said...

I featured your LAMP MAKEOVER on my blog today! Mad props on the zebra detail!

Amanda

http://frillsandfrolic.blogspot.com/2011/01/fab-finds.html

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I seriously cannot even believe you painted this by hand. It looks SO amazing! I love it!

Yolanda @ Miss Refashionista said...

This is great!! I have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing!

alittlepaint said...

That lamp is so cute! I did something similar to the lamps in my master bedroom but left out the genius step of putting a pattern on and just kind of free handed it. Definitely didn't look as good as yours.

jandjhome said...

Wow! Super impressed. What an incredible transformation and it looks incredible.

Amy said...

I love this!! Great idea, I think I'm going to try it out! I'll be sure to link back to you if I do ;), thanks for the post!

Lisa said...

What a great idea to trace the zebra pattern onto the shade! It looks fabulous!

Ashley said...

Another awesome idea! Great job, I am following for more of this creativity!

Jamie said...

What an awesome transformation. I'm your newest follower. I would love it if you linked your project up to my link party.
More The Merrier Monday.

http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Thank you thank you thankyou to EVERYONE for the super sweet comments. And another *HUGE* thank you to all the new followers. :)

Cozy Home Scenes said...

You were brave to paint the shade. I redo lamps a lot because I rarely find one at the store that is perfect. However, I am always afraid to touch shades for anything more than adding embellishments.

You did a good job on the lamp and the shade. The colors work really well so they don't scream overdone animal print like the typical black or darker brown would have done.

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper said...

Out of this world! Great job. I love the way it turned out.

http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

Jena @ Involving Color said...

I LOVE how your lamp turned out! Looks great! So glad I came across your blog. I'm a new follower.

Katie @ OhhBaby said...

I LOVE the way that turned out! How awesome! I may have to try it now! There is a serious lack of pretty lampshades around here...

Jodie said...

Love this! What a fantastic makeover! I especially love the zebra shade!

Thank you so much for the sweet comment!

I'm your newest follower! I would love for you to stop back sometime!

Jodie

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

Awesome! I love animal print. You did a great job. So clever!

Debby said...

LOVE! that looks so awesome, you did a great job. btw... found you on Eisy Morgan.

Megan said...

This is beautful! I'm so glad I came across your blog! I'm attempting a zebra stripe on a little kids stool I'm painting for my stepdaughters baby girl. Unfortunately I have no stencil so I have to free hand. Fingers crossed I don't stuff it up!
Megs :)

Pudel-design said...

LOVE this lamp;)
Looks great, thank`s for sharing;)
I`m your latest follower, please come and visit my blog too and maybe follow back;))

http://pudel-design.blogspot.com/

Lovely greetings and big hugs...

Becca said...

Amazing !! Very impressed with your creativity !! *Becca* (your newest follower ... come see me, sometimes).

www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

Jason and Danielle said...

I would have never thought of painting the lamp shade. I love it!

www.blissfulanddomestic.blogspot.com

Kate @ Chic on a Shoestring Decorating said...

This turned out awesome! I'm featuring you in my Flaunt it Friday features, stop by and grab an I was featured button if like... thanks for linking up! :)

Kassandra said...

Newest follower. I found your craft on the DIY showoff. You are in inspiration!!! I love this. I plan to re-do my master bedroom in black & with with touches of pink. I need new lamp shades, and thanks to you I plan to do the zebra painting on them. I wanted the zebra lampshades but I hadn't planned on buying them either lol. Thanks again sweetie!

Kassandra
http://coffeeandtheirkisses.blogspot.com

Remodelaholic said...

Wow, I love how this turned out, and I love that it is hand painted!

I would love to have you come do a special guest post about this on my blog Remodelaholic if you are interested I will send you the details!

Thanks, Cassity

Sara Pierce said...

this looks so great!
Thanks for sharing

Lisa said...

Wow! What an amazing job. Thanks for the tutorial.
Lisa

Brooke said...

I saw this gorgeous lamp in the paint party at Centsational Girl..I clicked on it, and lo and behold, it was you! :)
This is so pretty!!!! And your tutorial is great. Thanks for the inspiration Liz!

Marci said...

What a gorgeous lamp shade. Thanks for sharing all the details. It looks amazing. Might have to update a few of my lamps around the house. I think we have a few things in common. You might be interested in checking out my blog www.timberandlace.blogspot.com

Thanks,

I'm a happy follower now that I've found your site.

Kimberlea@SaVvyDeCor said...

Clever! It turned out great and looks so expensive. Great job!

Meg said...

I just got done trying this! It looks awesome and I'm actually getting really into the zebra thing! Thank you!
http://shoestringtightrope.com/archives/1488

coutrymom said...

What is etching primer and where do you find it? I need some now!

Marcia V. of Precious Style Blog said...

OK, this is amazing. I am so using this idea.

Heidi Perez said...

Hi Liz! I'm just wondering about that etching primer. I've been to Target and KMart and have called Lowes and Michaels. No one seems to know what it is / doesn't carry it. Where did you get yours?

Heidi Perez said...

Nevermind! Found it at AutoZone. I guessed it might have something to do w/ cars/bikes (on account of your lg dining room ornament) ;).

Brandi said...

Amazing! Your shade turned out so very, very nice!!

Steph @ BirdhouseFamily said...

That looks amazing! Love the new base and shade.

Jill said...

I already had your tutorial saved in my favorites, and saw it again on VR, so I have to tell you how much I love it! I'm planning on using your technique to makeover a sad little lampshade that needs some love. Nice work!
Jilly
www.meandjilly.blogspot.com

TheSuiteLife said...

Love it! Fabulous job. Thanks for the inspiration!

Kat said...

Genius! That's a lot of thought put into that shade but so worth it, it looks great!

Becca said...

This was incredibly clever! Will for sure be copying!

Crystal said...

Love, love, LOVE this!!! What a great idea to tape your stencil to the inside of the lamp! I would have never thought of that! I found this on Pinterest and LOVE your blog! I am a new follower! :) Stop by and say Hi sometime if you want!
Crystal
www.HomemakerinHeels.com

Laurie said...

Awesome idea! Thanks so much for the inspiration! I am featuring it on my Blogger's Thanksgiving Top Ten:
http://sceneofthegrime.blogspot.com/2011/11/bloggers-thanksgiving-top-ten.html

Ann said...

Ah, I just found your adorable blog! I've been looking for bedside lamps forever and love the porcelain ones but at over $200 a pop, a pair would cost a fortune so I LOVE this. I'm going to head over to Marshall's and Home Goods this week!

JenJolene said...

I just did this to my lampshade last night...and I LOVE IT!!! Thank you so much for posting! Added so much to our living room :)

Helen @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog said...

This lamp turned out great! I have a lamp I want to redo for my master bedroom and it needs to be painted because it doesn't match at all. I want gold shades for them so I am thinking I'm probably going to have to spray paint regular shades since I cant find gold ones.