Thursday, January 6, 2011

Curtain Destructions

I was at IKEA on Sunday with my MIL & SIL and bought my second pair of these LENDA curtains. They're 55x98 inch white tab tops. What I didn't realize with the first pair I bought about a year ago, is that you're supposed to wash and dry these before cutting, hemming or hanging. I got a little too anxious to put them up over our french doors and didn't bother reading the instructions. I mean really, they're curtains. Who needs instructions? Apparently me. That's who. Months went by with the bottoms of the curtains pooled on the floor. I liked it at first, but with opening the doors every time Gus had to 'go', they started to get pretty funky across the bottom.

Instead of putting on my thinking cap and washing them first, I decided I'd just cut the bottoms off so that the curtains would barely skim the floor. No one likes high water curtains. So I took them off the rod, laid them out on the floor, measured and then cut. They looked great! I was so proud of myself.
And then... it happened.


One night, hubster & I went out to eat and we left Gus & Bob at home. I guess one of them had to 'go' really bad because they relieved themselves on the curtains. I think this started a little 'territory marking' war between the two of them because, when we came back that night, the bottom of the curtains were COVERED in pee. Yuck. I could just picture it...

One of them walks up to the french doors doing the pee-pee dance and wiggling his little butt and just couldn't take it anymore so he just 'went'. Then the next one comes over to see what all the fuss was about and says:
"mine"
and then the other says
"no, mine"
"NO. MINE."
"NO!!! MINE!!!"
...and so on, and so forth. Then we get home and the curtains were covered in all sorts of 'mine'.
I pulled the panels down and tossed them into the wash and then dried them. And, I'm very sad to say, they came out like this...


6 inches shorter and frayed all to hell.

Damn you dogs and your weak bladders!

Oh, and this is what happen when you try to take pictures while sitting on the floor at my house.
moooove dangit
ughI said mooooooooove it

camera hog!
'who me?'

yea you!

roll over fatty.

ok...
good boy.

Anyway... back to the curtains. As you can see they looked terrible. I tossed the new pair in the wash and used the hottest setting possible. When they came out of the dryer, they were a good 6 inches shorter. I hung them last night after painting the walls and they look pretty good. I'll take a good "after" picture when I get home. It was way too dark in there when I finished last night.
Have you ever done this with your curtains?
please tell me I'm not the only one who didn't read the instructions.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I have curtains that are too long but no pups so I leave em long but I really should fix them... I thought they were cool at first but now they drive me crazy and look unkempt. Ugh no winning for his gal!

emily @ the happy home said...

we have these (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10112016) on two sets of windows. the first ones we didn't wash, and then they got stained by a furry, dirty chow chow who loves to lay against them. whoops. we can't wash 'em because they'll shrink too short, so when we got the second set, we made sure to cook them first.

love how gus decided to lay and show his tummy in front of your camera.

Michael - Innkeeper said...

awww... gotta love pets.

i have two cats. one hates to get his picture taken.

the other seems to pose.

Tanya @ Dans le Townhouse said...

Super cutie!