Monday, February 14, 2011

Bon Temps Gone Bad

I bought this little Christmas sign at Goodwill a few weeks ago.  
It's about 3 feet long by 8 inches high.
It was ok. I liked the crackle effect of the paint.
But I wanted to repaint it with something different so that I could hang it up year round.
I'm not sure how it happened, but the board was very warped.
You can kinda tell from this angle...
And it hand a strange bump too...
I created a blank slate by covering it with ivory craft paint.
It took about 4 coats to cover the whole thing.
What a pain!
From this angle it looks fairly straight.
But from this angle, you can really see the bend.
See?
As my hubby says... "it's all yaaaaden". I'm not sure why, but "yaaaaden" means warped, crooked, tilted, etc. in our house.
I finally decided to paint the sign with my blog's name...
Good Times!

I printed my lettering out on 5 sheets of paper.
Then taped them together.



Because I wanted to make my lettering into a stencil, I used the ol' 'rub the back side of the letters with a pencil then lay it over a sheet of freezer paper (shiny side down) and trace over the letters to leave an outline of the lettering on the freezer paper' trick.

Next, I carefully cut the negative area out with a razor blade.
Make sure to leave connecting pieces like this...
Now, I had to attach the freezer paper to the board. Last time I used freezer paper was on my lampshade, so I was able to use my straightening iron. But my iron wouldn't work for on this thick board.
So I asked my SIL if I could borrow her iron, but her's was in storage. But then she told me she had a crafting iron that was specially made for transferring iron on patches and decals. Perfect!


Hold on to your pants because this is the cutest thing EVER.
Not convinced by the cuteness?
I'll put it's size into perspective for you.
Ekk! Adorable.
But, it didn't get hot enough.
Boo.
So, I tried to McGyver it by heating a bread pan on my stove and then pressing down on the paper.
But that didn't work either! Wth?
If home reno and demo has taught me anything, it's that you gotta use the right tool for the job! So I went over to my MIL's house and borrowed her Mac Daddy iron. This had to work!


 But it didn't really. I'm not sure what was wrong. Maybe the paper had been heated and reheated too many times and it was like a nasty left over dinner that keeps getting thrown back in the freezer after getting burned in the stove and just tastes worse and worse every time but you can't bring yourself to throw it out and start from scratch. Sigh.

So, I tried painting it anyway. I guess that's where I made my mistake.
I mixed brown and black craft paint


Working from the edge of the stencil in towards the center, I dab dab dabbed my paint.
But I noticed there were little parts of paper lifting up.
So, I removed the paper.
And revealed this mess.
Daaaaaaaaaaang.
And now I don't know what to do. Scrap it? Paint over the bleed through stops? Sand the splotchy parts down?
What would you do?


PS: Did you notice anything strange about the background in this picture? I'll fill you in later this week.

HAVE A LOVELY
VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!


6 comments:

emily @ the happy home said...

blargh. hate it when that happens.

maybe just paint over it and start again. if your sanity is worth $3...

Kelly said...

Grr. What frustration!
I have a few suggestions:
1--If you have a steady hand, carefully paint over the excess splotches with the ivory and make the letters uniform
--or--
2--Distress the entire thing and make it look as though the brown is showing through the ivory. It would give it an antique-y look.
You could even try crackling medium and test it to see what look that would give you.

But this is only if your sanity is worth $3, like Emily said! :)
Good luck!

Gina said...

Suckie. Don't you hate it when they dont work out the way you want? Blargh. Happens to me ALL THE TIME!

I think you could use some wood puddy, spackle over the whole thing to make it smooth, then maybe make it into a chalk board so that you could sketch it on and change up the font every day if you want!?! <3 Just a thought!! :)

liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Ok ladies, y'all had some really good ideas. I'm loving the chalkboard idea. I didn't even think of that! I think I'll start by sanding it down a bit on the blotchy parts & if that doesn't work I'll just start over. Thanks for the ideas!!

lacey said...

For future stenciling....try using old school carbon paper to trace the outline on. It would save you all the time of cutting out each letter. Then you could just paint inside the lines.

Personally, I have a craft cutting machine (like the Cricut) and I just cut my stencils on vinyl and stick them down.

Kelsey said...

Another way to transfer a pattern to wood is by mirroring your image and printing on a laser printer, laying the image printed side down on the wood, then using acetone and paper towel or something fairly non-absorbent (I prefer paper towel like you find in schools or public restrooms - plain paper may work just as well) apply the acetone to the back side of the paper. Make sure to push down firmly over all the parts of the image with the paper/towel. The acetone releases the bond between the toner and the paper so that the image is transferred to the wood. Then paint or carve or cut out your image.

Work in a well ventilated area, and allow the paper/towel to dry out before you throw it away to prevent spontaneous combustion. This should only take a few minutes, as the acetone will evaporate very quickly.